By VIOLETA LUNA
This workshop has been created for artists of performance, dancers, actors, spoken word or visual artists interested in performance art and in exploring the intersection of the personal, the theatrical and the political through stage actions. Students in these disciplines are also welcome.
Workshop participants will make use of their personal memory and identity as the expressive territory where they will chart a vocabulary of stage actions. Drawing on their use of body, participants will also work on imagery related to their individual and social understanding of gender, sexuality and race.
Some thematic threads in the workshop include:
- Body (fiction and non-fiction, presence and inner strength, body as subject/object)
- Space (internal and external, spatial relationships, the intervention of public and private space)
- Time (real-time, fictional-time, ritual-time)
- Action (site-specific, action – reaction, responses to real and imagined stimuli, audience interaction, the creative accident)
Violeta Luna’s (Actress/Performance Artist/Activist) work explores the relationship between theatre, performance art and community engagement. Working within a multidimensional space that allows for the crossing of aesthetic and conceptual borders, Luna uses her body as a territory to question and comment on social and political phenomena. Born in Mexico City, Luna obtained her graduate degree in Acting from the Centro Universitario de Teatro (UNAM,) and La Casa del Teatro. She has performed and taught workshops extensively throughout Latin America and Europe, as well as in Rwanda, Egypt, New Zealand, Japan, India, Canada and USA. While primarily working as a solo performer, she is also an associate artist of the San Francisco-based performance collectives La Pocha Nostra and Secos & Mojados. She is a National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures (NALAC) Fellow, and a member of The Magdalena Project: International Network of Women in Contemporary Theatre. Significant works include: Requiem for a Lost Land, Frida, NK603: Action for Performer and e-Maiz, Apuntes sobre la Frontera and a series of collaborations with La Pocha Nostra.
- Date: Saturday 28 September 2019
- Time: 10:00 – 13:00
- Location: Groove Dance Studio, Wächtersbacher Str. 76, 60386 Frankfurt
- Fee: 30 €
- Participants: max. 16
- Language: English
- Target group: Professional or students of performance, spoken-word, actors, dancers and visual artists. All applicants should have a basic understanding of the discipline of performance art.
- Please bring along: Comfortable clothes for physical activity
- Website: www.violetaluna.com